Thursday, November 5, 2009

Beaufort Ghost Walk, Oct 2009

There are soo many stories and legends here on the East Coast! Lots of amazing history, fiction and nonfiction. I love it! We decided to check into the ghost stories of Beaufort in October and do the Ghost Walk to put us in the Halloween spirit! Ed’s Dad and Debbie were also visiting, so it was extra fun to share this adventure with family!



We met our guide at nightfall along the water. He was appropriately dressed as a……..yes, you guessed it, PIRATE!!! There were only 4 other people on this walking tour with us, so we were able to get a lot of extra tid bits and ask plenty of questions to a pirate who seemed to know all about this very old place in America! Beaufort is actually the third oldest town in North Carolina and the 12th oldest town on the East Coast! We heard all kinds of stories of the haunting of Beaufort! Many of the Bed & Breakfasts are haunted, Ed and I can’t wait to stay at each one and see what happens! We actually smelled breakfast cooking at one, it somehow always will smell like breakfast foods because of something that happened there. I will not tell the stories as it would be more fun for you to take the walk and hear the stories as you walk by the various locations. The street light went out as we approached Blackbeard’s house! Another story of a boy dressed in long ago clothes being seen playing pranks such as making street lights go out. We didn’t see the boy when the light went out. It came on a few minutes later. There were these misty blurrs and some orbs in the pictures I took where I was by myself, but when I was with the group my photos were “orb and blurry” free! Not sure what that means, just making note of it as I found it interesting. The rest of the family, including Ed was getting creeped out, but I never felt anything funky.



After the tour we drove over to Blackbeard’s house. Vicki and Ty were too creeped out by this point to even get out of the car to let me take their photo in front of his home! Blackbeard was a pretty bad guy! I know you already know all the stories about this guy, so I won’t reiterate the stories in my journal to here. But he was one big guy to fear!!!





He loved each of his wives and conveniently killed each one before he took his next one, what a sweet guy, NOT!! Anyways, had to take a pix of the tree where he hung one of his wives.




I can’t wait to go back during the day and walk the streets so I can see these beautiful old homes! If you have the opportunity, take this Ghost Walk! It was $15 per person 12 and older, $10 ages 2-11 and under 2 was free. It was about an hour of walking to see all the sites and hear all the stories. The guide is not able to take you to Blackbeard’s house as there are not sidewalks, so it is a liability, but he will show you where it is and you can go back later in the dark and find it! We had a little difficulty finding it by the time we got back to that area but it is worth the hunt! It was dark, I put glow sticks on Ty and Ryan. Wear comfortable shoes! Next year we are planning to do the Wilmington Ghost Walk!

No comments: