Friday, December 18, 2009

Rear View Mirror Flashback


I climbed into the van back in July to start her up. She had been in storage for 6 years while i drove my Town Ace on Okinawa. She was on empty and I was going to drive her to the gas station and put in enough gas to get to the U-Haul place. We were pulling her from South Carolina to North Carolina. Didn't want to drive her after sitting 6 years till she saw the Van Doctor! I adjusted the rearview mirror and the most amazing thing happened! No, a million dollars did not start falling from my windshield; more like a million images flooded my mind! I looked in the mirror to see that I had it right and all of a sudden I just saw this whirl of images, like a ton of photos going real fast in a slide show, but I distinctly knew each of the photos and the giggles and background of each one and each image seemed to hold longer than it actually really did because all this happened soooo incredibly fast! I am ever amazed at what our brain is capable of; especially my little pea sized one!!! I won't share all the snap shots I saw, just a few…but it started with Ryan and Ty in that middle seat. Ryan was facing backwards and Ty was facing me and Ty was talking to newborn Ryan, next Ty was holding Ryan's now bigger hand, now they were both facing forward playing with toys, clashing their dinosaurs together in their little fat hands, Ty tasting Ryan's bottle, them switching sippy cups, toys flying at me while I drove, sippy cups flying at me while I drove, driving thru a snow storm with Ty and Vicki while Ryan was in utero to meet Kelli Kirwan with her kids at Kisha Banks house in Spanish Fork, the kids faces as we stopped on each corner of Miramar as I put money in firemen's boots following the September 11th attacks, the super loooooong waits to get on base following 9/11 with Vicki and Jorden and the other kids I gave rides to doing their homework and the awe on their faces as the gates had transformed into actual bunkers with fortifications, weapons, battle gear worn, etc. The giggles from Ty as the police dogs got into our van to make sure we weren't undercover terrorists, changing diapers during those long waits (yes, always made sure I had extra zip log bags in the diaper bag!), nursing Ryan while I crept along and getting him back in his car seat before we got to the gate, the weekend trips to Sea World, Zoo, and Wild Animal Park, camping, family trips to Disneyland, New Mexico, Northern California. Just this huge wave of history in this vehicle! It was the coolest slide show I had ever seen and it only lasted maybe 1.5 seconds!

No comments: