Monday, January 9, 2012

Artificial Swimming

I swim laps 4 nights a week at Camp Johnson while Vicki has swim practice.  I am always sharing a lane with a Marine.  I can still hold my own with these youngins, at least that is what i tell myself.  If they weren't swimming in cammies i would have to really push myself to keep up.  The other night i was sharing my lane with a Marine who was not in cammies but instead was sporting a new leg, or an artificial leg for him to use in the water.  I was impressed and i loved swimming with him.  He brought a whole new appreciation for what i take for granted.  While i swam with him i spent a few laps only kicking with one leg and on my flip turns i only pushed off with one leg.  This Marine that was swimming next to me was definitely working a lot harder than me to go the same distance.  I lost him later in the evening as he slipped over to the training area to tread water with a brick over his head and work on his water entries and exits.  This young Marine is forever scarred from battle but i adored him instantly and hope he will continue to be my lap buddy!  

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a great post! No matter how mad I get at the military for the crap they pull, I am still proud of Marines!