Thursday, September 11, 2008

Looking Back on 9/11


Looking Back
Today is Jorden’s 17th birthday…………we were looking at his baby book/scrapbook and found a paper he had written about his birthday, September 11th, 2001. I remember the day clearly….i climbed up on Jorden’s top bunk to wake him up and began singing “Happy Birthday to you…., not too far into it the sirens began going off. I guess I should explain where we lived….Ed was a Drill Instructor for the Marine Corps and was training recruits at MCRD San Diego, Boot Camp and we lived on the Marine Air Station, USMCAS Miramar. This little base houses many of the best fighter planes the world has to offer. The sirens meant nothing to me as they regularly practiced drills of Marines getting to the flight lines, however, the words over the loud speakers said, “This is not a drill, all personal report immediately to work in battle gear.” We had one of the speakers right outside our house. I quickly went downstairs and turned on the TV. I was shocked by what I was witnessing in New York. Vehicles began coming down our street informing us that our base was on lock down and nobody would be able to leave or enter the base. All of the Dad’s were dressed and loading their packs in thier vehicles and children and wives were hugging them good bye. Ed was at work. MCRD runs parallel with the San Diego airport flight lines. My stomach felt like lead as I prayed that none of the planes in the air would be crash landing into all of our Barracks of Recruits and Marines. Our skies were deafening as all of our planes began taking off and scrambling along their various missions. I explained to Vicki and Jorden why they would not be going to school. Ty was 1 and Ryan was 1 ½ months old, far too young to know anything was happening. Ed called to say they were all okay and that they just held their breaths each time a plane came in for the forced landing. He said he had recruits from New York and he would be working on finding out how their families had faired in the attack and would be home whenever the bases reopened………….Jorden wrote a paper on his birthday, I found it in his scrapbook and thought I would type it out……he had turned 10 that day….
Sept 11, 2001
On Sept 11th it was my birthday and my mom said you might be late for school and after a few minutes my mom said you’re not going to school today and I asked why and my mom said to watch the news so I did and what I found out was that some terrorists hijacked two planes and ran both of them into the world trade centers and they both collapsed. 500 firemen died and I think 26 policemen and over one thousand civilians on Sept 11th. The reason that I could not go to school was because we could not go out or in the gates and I will always remember this birthday of all the people that died.
On Sept 11 I felt sad for all the people that died and a little scared because what if they start to bomb San Diego. I even felt a little mad of what the terrorists have done and I know we are going to pay them back
When we went off base and on base there were a lot of Marines there and they had on helmets, bullet proof vests, pistols, M-16’s, and a lot of other battle gear.
At school our teacher let us watch the news of what happened and I hope that we can get these people back and catch the person that did this to us and he is wanted dead or alive.
One day at school all the schools in America did the pledge of alliegance at 11:00 to show that our country is the best country and the strongest country ever and that we will not let them do that ever again because we will stop them before they can hurt us again.
One day after school we went to a restaurant called Oliver Grove because the money that we give them they put 10% of the money to New York of what happened so that is why we went out to eat at Olive Grove.

No comments: