Thursday, September 4, 2008

Looking Back With Giggles



Memories That Make Me Laugh & Ed Go AAARRRGGGHHH!


Ed just re enlisted for probably the last time! This one was for 5 years and should take him to the 20 year mark. The USMC would have to offer him something REALLY good for him to stay any longer in this gun club! Soo, we think this was the last one! We were laughing when we remembered the first time he re enlisted.....i went and picked him up at work and he throws this poloroid picture at me and says he is done with the Marine Corps and that he had just got out. I had a momentary blast of panic as i frantically figured out how much time we would have to get out of base houseing, where we were going to go, what we were going to do, how much in savings, all kinds of stuff in that moment and than he laughed and threw another pix at me and said he is back in the good ole USMC for 4 more years. That was the first and now we just had our last. Always a scary moment when the hand goes up and the oath is repeated....he's been kept safe and hopefully the next deployments will continue to keep him safe and that was the last time i will have that scary uncertain feeling in my stomache! We were talking about all the crazy things we have gone thru on this journey we have chosen and were just laughing at all the memories. These are two of my favorites, not Ed's favorites, but mine.....i still laugh when we remember these times and Ed still says he is going to kill me someday....there are probably endless stories to tell tucked away in my journal, but i'll share these two since they are short and always make me giggle!



The Smiley Face
One time Ed came home at lunch time. He took off his cover (hat) and was sitting at the kitchen table eating. I picked up a marker and went behind him and drew a happy face-and yes it was the classic Julia Happy Face with the big ole tongue sticking out- right there on the back of his head. As I was drawing, he of course said “you better not be writing on my head!” I giggled and said “of course not baby, the lid is on”. And then I even showed him the marker that now had a lid on it. After he finished lunch he headed back to work. He put his cover back on and my smiley face was right where I wanted it! It was just under his tan line, right there where anyone behind him would see it! Yes, mission accomplished!!! I laughed sooo hard after he drove away knowing full well he was going to kill me when he got home! Later that night when he got home from work he let me know that he hadn’t found my artwork as amusing as I had. He said he kept hearing “Cpl Kretschmer, why do you have a smiley face on your head?” I still laugh when I remember that day and he still says he is going to kill me someday for it!

Socks
Soooo, one day I thought I would decorate a pair of Ed’s white socks with some cool paints that I had. I covered them up with hearts and kisses and I love you’s and all kinds of girlie stuff. Sooo, later on down the road……..on an early morning before the sun had risen Ed is grabbing a pair of socks out of his drawer in the dark and heads off to work. Camp Pendleton is 80 miles from our house. He gets to work and quickly changes into his PT gear and is not so happy to discover the socks he grabbed were the beautiful ones I had decorated for him! Yea, he got lots of comments on his cool socks! I wonder if he was wearing a pair of the boxers I had decorated for him as well….? Another memory where I laugh and Ed goes AAARRRGGGHHH!

No comments: