Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Valentines Day 2009


Valentine’s Day 2009 I’m not the type of girl that demands this totally romantic Valentine celebration. I think if you have to force the guy or drop a ton of hints, why bother. Obviously he would be miserable, so what would the fun be in that?! Yes, flowers, a surprise date, or something like that would be totally awesome, but I don’t expect it or worry about it. I was hoping to go diving, but the sea conditions were RED Saturday morning. RED means we are not allowed to enter the waters. There was a movie I wanted to see, but I didn’t think Ed would be too thrilled with it, so I just did what I wanted to do on Valentine’s Day this year……………………. Kubasaki High School had been hosting Far East Wrestling all week. (Far East Tournaments are at the end of each of the sporting seasons for the High Schools. The DOD (Department of Defense) schools rotate hosting Far East. The kids at the various High Schools throughout the Pacific get to travel to whichever school is hosting for the championship games/matches/events, whatever it may be. Kubasaki was hosting Far East Wrestling this year. There were 12 other schools attending, 10 off island, as Kadena and Kubasaki are both DOD High Schools here on Okinawa. Kubasaki is primarily Marine Corps with some Army and Navy and Kadena is mostly Air Force with some Army and Navy. Of course each school has kids whose parents are not military as well.) I’ve been subbing for the wrestling coach so I have only been able to catch a little bit after school. The championship matches were being held on Saturday, the 14th. I really wanted to go to this, and I did. Ed was bored out of his mind. I kept telling him that he didn’t have to sit there with me and watch, but he stayed and kept coming back with me. He never wrestled, he was a baseball and hockey player during his high school years. My brothers wrestled in high school and that is where I grew to love the sport. My younger brother Monte wrestled for Kubasaki when he was over here in high school, so that made it fun, as well as I know the kids. I’ve been subbing here for about 3 years now and like to watch their sporting events. We spent just about the entire day there, leaving in between matches when our Dragons were on break. There were two girls from Osan (Korea) who were wrestling. Vicki came a few times with me and she thought about wrestling in high school for a moment, watched the two girls get pinned and decided she didn’t want some stinky guy putting his arm pit hairs across her mouth. Good decision. Kubasaki ended up taking 3rd. Not bad. Kadena took first, Kinnick, second. We got out of there around 7 that evening. We would have been able to leave a lot earlier, but I had wanted to watch the 210 guy from Kinnick, he was awesome, had a 5 point throw on Friday, but he ended up forfeiting his match and we didn’t know until that match rolled around. If ya don’t know how wrestling works, well it goes like this, it starts at the lightest weight and goes in order till you get to the heavy weights. 210 is the second to last match. I had also wanted to watch Kadena’s 141, so it wasn’t a complete loss….. (Ed was even disappointed, that was the one match he actually wanted to watch! Maybe I got him a little bit into this sport…..?) The Kinnick 210 guy had really hurt his knee earlier and had won his last match, had to struggle, was limping hard, took some abuse on it that match from our guy, but won in the end with a sudden surge of adrenaline or frustration of pain and pinned our Dragon. Kadena was winning by enough points that even if he and the heavy weight both won by pins, Kadena would still win, so it was a smart move to not have him injure himself more. Soooo, yeah, I kinda blew it on Valentine’s Day this year wanting to watch Far East. I apologized to Ed for his excruciating long day of watching something he described as “exciting as watching paint dry.” LOL! If the waters hadn’t been RED, we would have atleast gone diving, but can’t enter the water when the sea conditions are RED. Ed actually said it wasn’t as bad as he thought it was going to be. He said he liked listening to me talk thru the matches, saying all these phrases he had never heard of before, watching me lean side to side, and he thought it was cool I knew how the points scored and stuff. We laughed, because this was like the first time EVER I knew more than him at a sporting event! Yeah, that will never happen again, unless of course, we go to another wrestling meet! Ha! He did like the Harley Davidson hoodie pull over sweatshirt I got him. He wanted an Okinawan one in Konji. Now he has one and loves it. I guess it wasn’t a total loss of a day for him. I also laughed and said he wasn’t out any dinero this year! I wonder if he’ll be home for me to torture next Valentine’s Day…..? Our Kubasaki wrestler was taking advantage of Kinnicks injury throughout the match...
The Kinnick guy took our Dragon down and pinned him...yeah, he was just a little stoked! LOL

1 comment:

Kelli said...

Weirdo! Can't wait for you to get here!!! I was actually asleep but I don't think it was a very good one though... I'm pooped.