Friday, February 6, 2009

Words That Perk The Ears

I was in the kitchen making dinner one evening when Ryan comes running in. He went straight to the fridge and filled up this tiny little paper cup, or maybe it was a lid to a laundry detergent container, with water. As he dashes out I ask him what he is doing. He hurriedly, but nonchalantly says he is putting out the fire. My ears immediately perk and I tell Ed to follow Ryan out to the fire! It turns out that there was a fire in our backyard! I don’t have smoke detectors out there, but might consider it now…..our neighbor on the other side of our wall, Matt Schmidt, had seen the smoke and was right in front of Ed with the fire extinguisher. Of course all the kids scattered…..the fire was pretty easily distinguished, this is a tropical island and the ground remains somewhat moist between the rain and the humidity. It took a little while but we finally got the group of kids involved together so we could talk to them about fire. The culprit who brought the lighter was identified (he’s a cute little guy and his Mom felt soo bad about him climbing the cabinets and I was quite surprised that it wasn’t Ryan! Ed and I had a family meeting with the kids on fire safety, again. Ty said he didn’t do anything, he was just there watching and Ryan said, “I didn’t do anything, I just held the paper”! The paper is what the boy with the lighter, was lighting!!! Soo, we had to have another discussion on being an accomplice! I want to hear back form all my cool friends on stories where YOUR ears have been perked!!!

1 comment:

Kelli said...

Recruit 6 about 2 years ago (that makes him 21/2... came walking out of a friends bedroom and said very calmly, "there's a fire in there" and no one paid attention to him except my friends mom. She came running back down THERES A FIRE IN THERE!
The Marine and Lyn ran down the hall and it was a halogen lamp that one of the kids throuogh a toy upon top of. It looked like a torch as he ran out of the house into the front yard with it. We started listening closer to what the little guy had to say after that....