Saturday, February 21, 2009

Thailand Make-Over's



Thailand Make-Over’s
I was telling this story to some friends the other night and was told I should blog it, so I went to my journal and pulled it out. A few months ago one of my friends asked why I had never blogged this trip…..so I guess I will do a few Thailand blogs in the next little bit….gotta find the pixs….they are on an external hard drive…….soooo, I’ll find them in the near future…I'll have to have Ashley e-mail me one of hers as i never got a copy of hers. TMO was packing her out the day after we got home from this trip......and Cliff, I even included the same closing line!

My friend Ashley and I had been having a blast in Thailand. On our last night we decided to zip over to the mall and shop around one last time. On one of the upper floors we walked by this place that looked like a photography studio. We watched and realized that it was kinda like a Glamour Shot place in the States where they dress you up and do your hair and make-up and such. We asked, and yeah, we had been right. They showed us the prices and we decided to do it as they would have the prints ready that night and delivered to our hotel. (Everything can be delivered to your hotel room here!) We were staying right there in Bangkok. They asked us for our passports and offered to lock them in their safe for us along with our bags and purses. We didn’t feel good about that. They kept telling us to just give them our things and they would keep them safe for us. We ended up keeping our things with us, it just went against every brief I have ever had to listen to when traveling to specific countries…..not sure if we hurt their feelings or not, hope not …..but we just didn’t feel comfortable giving these strangers our most valued possessions. (Thailand is a country that my SOFA status does not apply, so gotta be extra careful here, no room for a blonde moment.) They took us to a back room and sat us down in these chairs and began doing our hair and make-up. Ashley and I were talking back and forth and not really paying much attention. We also realized all the ladies that worked there were really men who had now chosen to be female. This led to some really interesting conversations, their English was really good. Basically if you are in Thailand, specifically Bangkok, and you see a REALLY hot looking chic dressed to tease, it’s a guy. Trust me, just look closely at the neck and you’ll see for yourself. There was also another couple back there who were very nice, clean, and looked to be on vacation. They were the ones we saw being photographed when he were walking by. So, we felt comfortable in our surroundings……until…….we both pretty much realized at the same time that everything they were using to apply make-up and the brushes and combs used in our hair were not sanitized. Just the same stuff used on anyone who had ever been there. UUHHGGG! We were both freaking out over this, not so the people doing our make-over knew but Ash and I have the raised eyebrows back and forth kinda thing going, the girl gestures of what the frick is going on here….?!!! They were almost done with us, so we decided to finish it out as we had already been contaminated, yes, girls can have this whole kinda conversation without saying a word….we get dressed in our outfits and take turns watching each other’s things while we get our photos taken. The photographer was a real guy. Ashley wore this cool almost Aladin kinda thing and I opted for the more traditional royalty dress. We quickly changed, viewed the proofs, paid, said our thank yous and left. We could not get to our hotel room fast enough! Once there we began scrubbing our faces and washing our hair. We were cracking up as we were wondering out loud how grotesque we might look by morning! I was wondering if we might not even pass as the pictures on our passports by the time we have to board our plane that following morning!!! We went out one last time that evening. I also picked up the last of the clothes I had had made for me. Our photos arrived later that night. We were laughing and wondering AND hoping it had been worth it! We went to bed that night terrified of any little sensation we felt on our scalp, lips, eyes……we awoke in the morning to find no oozing sores, puffy eyes, itchy heads……our faces still matched our passports when we arrived at the airport! We didn’t even get a cold sore!!!

1 comment:

Kelli said...

ewww ick! blachk!! Blachk!! That makes me want to go take a shower....