Tuesday, January 6, 2009

How Did You Make Your Fortune?



Someone asked me once how I had made my fortune. I thought that was a funny question and so I told a silly story….Long, long ago in a galaxy far, far away, okay not really a galaxy, but a land far, far away, because I AM telling this story while on Okinawa, the island of the ancient Ryuku Kingdom and birthplace of KARATE! Soo much easier to TELL the story than to write it, you don’t get to see any of my faces and hear the voice changes! Sooooo, anyways, back in my working years when I had a real job, yes this is a VERY long time ago…..I was killing some time in an airport terminal waiting for my normal Friday night flight home. I always booked my flights on those busy commute times and of course would always “volunteer” to give up mine and Jorden’s seats so we could get the free vouchers. Well, there were these business men and they were talking about investments and stocks and reading the latest monetary news. I can always appear to LOOK like I know what is going on and so I joined their little discussion on where to invest money. I looked over what they were looking at and when asked I told them I was putting all my money on the apple. This caused the conversation to take a turn and they asked me why. I simply told them that all my research  had said to steer towards healthy stocks, so what could be healthier than apples? There was plenty of humms and ummms and  than the announcement was made that the flight was overbooked and for any volunteers who would like to give up their seats to come forward. I turned in mine and Jorden’s and we caught the following flight out while my new friends boarded their plane to fly back to San Diego. But that is just a silly story, my real fortune sits around the dinner table each night arguing over who is chewing with their mouth open or discussing the proper way to butter your roll. My fortune gives the dog a treat on the carpet right after I have vacuumed, spills milk on the floor, and leaves a constant pile of dirty clothes in my laundry room. I have no idea how I acquired my fortune but I would not trade in the slobbery kisses, sticky fingers tucked in mine, the word “Mom,”  “Mum”, and "Mome" the rolling eyes, the random candy bar, and my other heart beat who laces up his boots each morning before leaving for work for all the fortunes in the world! 

1 comment:

Kelli said...

Okay, that was good.... I loved that one!!!