Tuesday, January 20, 2009

My Kokeshi Doll


I finally broke down and bought this Kokeshi doll that I have had my eye on for like a couple of months now…First of all, I LOVE KOKESHI DOLLS! But, I have my little quirks, and I like my Kokeshi dolls to mean something, I won’t just buy any ole doll. Ed bought me the Mt Fuji one for Christmas and he has bought me a cute Mother one on Mother’s Day. I good friend of mine bought me my “July” one for my birthday. I’ve bought the Grandparent ones for mine and Ed’s parents, the Snowmen, Santa’s for Christmas gifts, I have the one from my kids school, the Marine one…… Okay, get the picture, love them, but they have to have a story, just me, like I said, I have these little quirks. Soooo, I’ve been wanting one that was born in 1968, my birth year. I keep finding ones around 1968, always a 66 around for a nice price, but the 68, expensive, well for me, that is, ‘cause like I just really hate spending money on something that is just for me….another quirk….soooo, I finally went in and bought her. $100.00. YIKES! Well, actually she was only $90.00 ‘cause I paid cash and the cute little Okinawa lady gave me 10% off for the cash payment. Pleasant surprise. Doesn’t seem AS bad when it is UNDER $100!!! I had actually almost bought her a couple of times. I would go in because there would be a sign that read “ALL Kokeshi Dolls 35% off”. Twice I went in and tried to buy her during that sale, a week apart and for some reason she was the ONLY one NOT on sale! UUHHG! Soo, I finally got to bring her home!!! I tucked her in a corner ‘cause I just wasn’t ready to break the news on how I had just squandered a hundred bucks, well actually 90, but he found her and so now I can blog her! Ha! NOT that he ever reads these things anyways!!! LOL
The artist that made my doll is Bunichi Kamata. He was born on Aug 28 (good day ) 1900. He began making these at the age of 14. His children and their children also continued with this. He made my doll in 1968. He was 68 years old.
Kokeshi – Japanese dolls that were originally from northern Japan. They are handmade from wood that is left outdoors to season. This wood needs to season for one to five years before it can be used.

2 comments:

Kelli said...

I want to see a picture of the dolls!

Kelli said...

Thanks for the picture!