Friday, March 6, 2009

750 or 1500

I’m doing this open ocean swim on March 14th. It’s funny to think that I am 40 years old and have NEVER done one of these before! I love to swim, I have always been a fish in water, and like just never did one of these because it was either too cold or I had a nightmare of a shark getting me. I know, I’m a total dork, so, anyways, next Saturday I’m going to go do this up at Camp Schwab. I’m trying to talk Ed into swimming with me, but not having much luck at the moment…..sooo, I’ve been swimming laps at the pool, ‘cause that is just something I like to do, but it has been really on and off lately with my work schedule. I was off today, so took full advantage and went at lunch to just see how easy it would be to swim nonstop for the distance i am thinking about entering. I know that sounds lame, but when I go to the pool, I do a work out, so I am usually sprinting, using the kick board, different strokes, and stuff, so I thought I had better just make sure I can swim this distance without stopping and without any trouble. I figure if it is hard in the pool to go nonstop, I’m gonna just die in the ocean……..so I jump in and begin swimming laps at a nice even pace, counting my strrokes so I can keep an even pace……it took me 18 minutes to swim 750 meters, I know slow, but I just wanted to see how it felt at a slow pace, I’m not entering to try to place in this, just doing another thing on my “do before I die” list. It was a piece of cake in the pool, so I know it will take like way longer fighting the waves and stuff and I’m not going to have the wall every length to do a nice flip turn on to gather speed, sooooo, now the big decision, do I stick with the 750 meter which shouldn’t be all that difficult or challenge myself to the 1500 meter? Decisions decisions…..? Monday I’ll swim 1500 meters and see how it feels……

2 comments:

Kelli said...

oooh, that sounds like something I think YOU should totally do. Let me know how it goes....

Jared and Adrianne Blake said...

good luck!